What is Chronicle Queue?
This memory mapped file is also used for exceptionally fast interprocess communication (IPC) without affecting your system performance. This is especially useful when there is a need to transfer large amounts of data, its ideal for transferring data between processes very quickly on the same server or across the network. There is no Garbage Collection (GC) as everything is done off heap.
Chronicle Queue Enterprise
TCP replication ensures that data is kept in sync. TCP replication also provides further resilience and failover, Chronicle Queue is ideal for distributed architectures especially when you wish to spread the processing over more than one machine and achieve a High level of Availability (HA).
Chronicle Queue Features
- Low latency, durable, interprocess communication (IPC)
- No data loss; stores every value instead of replacing them
- No GC as everything is done off-heap
- Persistence to disk through memory mapped files
- IPC between Java processes or between threads in a Java process
- Simple API for ease of use
- Replay-ability of all your inputs and outputs
- Concurrent writers across processes on the same machine
- Concurrent readers across machines on your network using TCP replication
- Embedded performance in all processes
- All data stored off-heap, to reduce GC impact
- Data is written synchronously to ensure no data is lost
- Data is read less than a microsecond after it is written
How it works?
Chronicle uses a memory mapped file to continuously journal messages, chronicles file-based storage will slowly grow in size as more data is written to the queue, the size of the queue can exceed your available memory, you are only constrained by the amount of disk space you have on your server. Chronicle writes data directly into off-heap memory which is shared between java processes on the same server.
Chronicle is very fast, it is able to write and read a message in just two microseconds with no garbage. Typically at the end of each day, you archive the queue and start the next day with a fresh empty queue.
Get a Free Chronicle Queue Demo
To see Chronicle Queue in action – run this demonstration on your machine. Download the chronicle-demo.jar (executable jar). The jar should be launched with Java 1.7+.
Double click to launch or use the command line java -jar chronicle-demo.jar.
See the benefits of Chronicle's products in action
At Chronicle, we believe less is more. Learn more about why and how Chronicle can support your business and how it can increase efficiency and streamline your systems and workflows by speaking with one of our experts.
We can also offer you our release notes.